Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"Rainbow" Cake


Blue & Green


I made my vanilla cake recipe and divided it into two different bowls and died it the colors of the cake I wanted to make. I layered small portions on top of each other to give a semi tie dyed look.



I used my white chocolate frosting recipe to ice the cake. I chose green because when I was making the circles prior to this, they were such a pain in the butt I only made them blue. 

The circles....oooh those circles were the death of me. I attempted to first melt white chocolate and dye it and pipe it onto a stencil printed and wrapped in plastic wrap, however, the chocolate never melted the right way. I then tried to just mold the chocolate onto the template, wasn't that pretty. Finally I had the chocolate still soft and pliable, but too stiff to pipe. I rolled it into a ball and rolled it out between two papers wrapped in plastic wrap. I happened to have my piping tips laying next to me and decided I'd use those to cut out the circles. The best idea I had all night. Finally for the #3 I simply cut it out of the chocolate with a knife. 

I did have a chocolate green and blue banner that I intended to use, but again the chocolate didn't melt right to pipe on happy birthday and it got ruined. =(

Overall, the cake looked awesome for a 3 year old who didn't care, and it tasted AMAZING!!!! ....so much better than fondant.

No comments:

Post a Comment